We cowl the Chihuahua canine breed customary, plus some fascinating information — and misconceptions — about this tiny, however feisty canine.
Weighing lower than 6 kilos, a Chihuahua matches simply within the arms of his household. But don’t be fooled: He’s small solely in stature, not character. Chihuahuas are feisty, loyal, opinionated and (let’s simply name it what it’s!) quite stuffed with themselves. Perhaps their pleasure in the present day comes from their esteemed heritage. The Chihuahua’s predecessors, in spite of everything, have been thought of sacred.
Where did the Chihuahua come from
Although the tales of the breed’s starting are cloudy, historians usually agree that the Chihuahua originated in what’s now Mexico, probably descended from historical Techichi canine. Renowned for serving sacred functions and providing friendship, Chihuahuas have been widespread with the Aztecs; Montezuma II apparently had tons of. Early Chihuahuas have been honored, sacrificed, mummified and buried with their homeowners. One of their supposed duties was to assist deceased homeowners cross safely into the world of the lifeless. And whereas Aztecs could have held early Chihuahuas in esteem, additionally they could have eaten some. Eek!
How to coach a Chihuahua
These days, most Chihuahuas retain their ancestral lofty air and have a tendency to imagine they’re the star of the household. Although a Toy breed, the Chihuahua has a terrier-esque character: He’s confident, self-governing, spirited and generally reckless. He usually reserves his affection for one particular particular person. Most Chihuahuas actually received’t run up bouncing and slobbering kisses on strangers.
The strong-willed and spirited Chihuahua requires intensive socialization and coaching. The largest impediment to the Chihuahua’s coaching is the human false impression that he can’t be skilled or that he’s too exhausting to coach. Some folks additionally could mistakenly imagine that it’s not obligatory to coach such a little bit canine. Untrained, ill-behaved Chihuahuas contribute to the breed’s popularity that they’re indignant, aggressive, biters or barkers. A well-trained, socialized Chihuahua is thus a worthwhile breed ambassador to discredit this popularity.
Chihuahuas can excel in obedience, rally, freestyle and agility. Of course, coaching this breed requires endurance, humor and a great deal of incentivizing treats. He’s not, in spite of everything, a working canine with an I’ll do no matter you ask perspective. Owners want so as to add selection to maintain the canine centered and let him imagine he’s main the coaching classes.
Because of his dimension and peak, educating a Chihuahua to stroll on a leash could be difficult. A really mild leash and collar (or normally a harness), in addition to a mushy hand, are essential. Although he solely wants average train, each day walks hold the Chihuahua wholesome and content material. And just because he matches in a handbag or a pack doesn’t imply he needs to be carried all day. Walks provide train, but in addition present alternatives for the canine to politely work together with outsiders. Wide-ranging socialization will mitigate his naturally skeptical disposition.
Understanding Chihuahua behaviors
- Barking: Oblivious to his dimension, most Chihuahuas don a watchdog hat, with loads of accompanying barking. In truth, Chihuahuas usually bark at something that appears new or completely different. So sure, generally they’re deemed “yappy.” But like several canine breed, a Chihuahua can be taught to cease pointless barking. Again, the difficulty is extra the human tendency to anticipate too little of the Chihuahua.
- Housetraining: It’s additionally a little bit of a fable that Chihuahuas are inherently averse to housetraining. Anatomically, the Chihuahua is not any completely different than some other canine breed. The situation, as an alternative, is probably going how troublesome it’s to acknowledge the “I’m about to do my responsibility” physique positioning in such a small canine or noticing the teeny, tiny accidents left on the ground.
- Socializing: Although not normally a carefree canine park fan, Chihuahuas could like playtimes with established associates. Owners should fastidiously supervise play (particularly with greater canine) to mitigate unintended roughness; the tiny Chihuahua is harm simply.
With different animals within the household, Chihuahuas usually like being the supervisor. Many Chihuahuas tolerate cats, however that’s not a given.
- Playing with young children: Although a socialized Chihuahua can get together with older, courteous kids, usually the Chihuahua doesn’t go well with households with young children. Well-intentioned kids can inadvertently harm the little canine. Chihuahuas may retaliate when little kids spontaneously pull, tug, hug too tightly or attempt to raise them.
- Jumping: Because they’ll harm themselves, Chihuahuas mustn’t be allowed to leap from their homeowners’ arms or from excessive furnishings.
How a lot train does a Chihuahua want?
The Chihuahua’s average exercise requirement works properly for households dwelling in flats. The canine breed additionally fits older, less-active adults. Short walks, fetch classes or indoor video games can tire out a Chihuahua after which he’s prepared to return to cuddling.
The breed’s dimension makes him a straightforward journey companion. They take up little room in a automotive, and so they additionally slot in under-the-seat airplane canine carriers. There are solely a handful of canine breeds so moveable!
How a lot does a Chihuahua weigh?
Chihuahuas are small canine, weighing lower than 6 kilos. Here are some information concerning the Chihuahua’s dimension and look:
- Teacup Chihuahuas: Within the breed customary, there’s no such factor as a teacup, pocket-size, tiny toy or miniature Chihuahua. The breed does are available various sizes after all, however the usual merely requires lower than 6 kilos.
- Apple or deer head Chihuahuas: The Chihuahua’s rounded apple head is a breed hallmark. Deer headed Chihuahuas have extra sloping facial options and narrower, extra angular heads. Such Chihuahuas don’t meet the breed head form customary, however they are often registered as an AKC purebred if the mother and father are additionally registered.
Why does my Chihuahua shake?
If a Chihuahua is shaking, he might be chilly. The breed is delicate to chilly climate and might have a coat to maintain heat in winter. But Chihuahuas additionally could tremble when feeling excited, uncomfortable or fearful. A well-socialized Chihuahua who’s skilled many conditions and met many new folks could shiver with anxiousness lower than a sheltered Chihuahua. Of course, shaking can happen together with numerous medical circumstances, so homeowners want to debate their canine’ shaking with their veterinarians.
How a lot does a Chihuahua eat?
Small canine eat proportionately greater than giant canine. A 5-pound Chihuahua usually eats a couple of cup of kibble per day. Does that imply a 100-pound canine (20 occasions as heavy) eats 20 cups a day? Nope. Big canine eat proportionately much less. The 100-pound canine seemingly eats merely 5 cups a day.
An fascinating Chihuahua truth
The Chihuahua canine breed is called for the Mexican state of Chihuahua, the most important (by space) state in Mexico. The Chihuahua is among the most misspelled canine breed names. In English, it’s usually pronounced “Chee–wa- wuh.”
Country of origin: Mexico
Original use: Ritual, spiritual, companion
Life span: 14 to 16 years
AKC 2021 reputation rating: 37th in 2021.
Activity stage: Low to medium; quick walks suffice
Weight: Under 6 kilos
Sizes: A Chihuahua isn’t correctly categorized as Pocket Size, Micro, Tiny Toy, Teacup or Miniature. Some Chihuahuas are merely smaller than others.
Coat: Smooth coat is mushy, shut and shiny; lengthy coat is mushy, flat or barely wavy.
Color: Any shade; marked, strong or splashed
Tails: Tails are carried in a sickle (open curve) or in a loop over the again. Long-coated Chihuahuas have pluming and feathering on tails.
Grooming: Smooth coats want occasional brushing. Long-haireds want frequent grooming.
Teeth: Dental care is significant, as Chihuahuas could develop oral issues leading to tooth decay or gum illness.
Female warmth cycle: Lasts about 3 weeks.
Special gear: Perhaps a harness (quite than a collar) and a really mild leash. Sweaters and coats in winter.
Best for: Families with older kids, singles, aged
Known well being issues: Patellar luxation, coronary heart and eye points.
Breed quote if that they had one: “Throw sass like confetti!”