What Dog Owners Should Know About Dognapping – Dogster
Two million canines are stolen every year and about 10% are returned house, in accordance with Petfinder.com. We name this dognapping — the crime of taking a canine from his proprietor, derived from the time period kidnapping.
Throughout the world, pets are stolen for quite a lot of causes, like being resold as a companion pet, to amassing rewards from distressed homeowners or for combating in dogfights, simply to call a couple of. In the final two and half years, there was a rise in canine thefts in an effort to make fast cash by criminals trying to make the most of the elevated demand for canine companionship through the pandemic.
What are the highest canines stolen and from the place?
According to the American Kennel Club Vice-President of Public Relations, Brandi Hunter-Munden, among the prime stolen canines within the Unites States are:
- Yorkshire Terriers
- Boston Terriers
- English Bulldogs
- Pit Bulls
- French Bulldogs
Brandi notes that in previous years, unsuspecting homeowners would go away canines of their yards for a couple of minutes for them to “do their enterprise” or tether their pets exterior a retailer to run a fast errand. “Now, we see many canines are stolen from inside properties, yards and vehicles in addition to being yanked from their homeowners on the streets all through the nation,” she says.
Furthermore, Brandi clarifies that “many of those breeds are stolen straight from homeowners as a result of they’re small, transportable, docile and don’t put up a fuss when snatched from their homeowners.”
Who are the victims of canine theft?
Pet homeowners usually are not the one victims of pet theft. Dog breeders are prime candidates, too. For breeders like Louisiana’s Patricia Sosa, there’s a ready record for her restricted provide of fastidiously bred French Bulldog puppies. In her 30-plus 12 months love affair with the breed, she solely had one particular person steal a canine by writing a nasty test, nearly 15 years in the past.
“But in the previous couple of years, since many French Bulldogs have been stolen from pet homeowners and breeders, I’ve needed to take critical, safety precautions,” Patricia says. She fastidiously pre-screens candidates by way of cellphone and checks references earlier than she invitations potential canine homeowners to her house to view puppies.
“I by no means give them my tackle till the final doable minute in an effort to shield myself, my house and my puppies,” she explains. Additionally, earlier than inviting potential canine homeowners into her house, she explains to them that she has a safety system and community of cameras masking her house, kennels and the remainder of the property. Lastly, she tells them that she has a guard canine — a Doberman that will probably be current whereas they’re visiting her premises. “Armed with this info, they will make the choice to return to my kennel,” she says.
But breeders usually are not the one ones to have canines stolen from them. Many pet shops all through the nation have skilled canine thefts because the pandemic. In 2021, after two girls entered a Texas pet retailer and requested to see a French Bulldog, the shop complied. Once the canine was of their palms, the 2 instantly ran out the door. Store workers rapidly reported the incident and outline of the automotive to the police. Soon after, the officers discovered the ladies allegedly trying to reattach the license plate they’d eliminated in preparation for the heist.
Do prison statutes and penalties differ relating to K9 theft?
Dogs, and different companion animals, are at the moment classed as “property” in theft sentencing. As a end result, offenders who steal canines are given related sentences to those that steal inanimate objects. Unfortunately, most states think about pet theft a misdemeanor, and the penalties embody small fines and little-to-no jail time.
Only round 15 states tackle canine theft of their prison codes. While prison expenses and penalties do differ from state to state, California and Louisiana impose expenses and penalties which can be primarily based on the financial worth of the stolen canines. However, Virginia, Louisiana, Oklahoma, New York and Mississippi have extreme prison statutes. In these states, canine theft is a felony with six months to 10 years of jail time. Additionally, fines start at $200 and might equate as much as 3 times the worth of the stolen animal, however not exceeding $500,000. Quite a variety, too!
Animal advocates agree that penalties for canine theft must be extra extreme than that of stealing inanimate, non-living property. Recent research and case legislation have acknowledged that the animal-human bond is exclusive, and the implications of labeling a canine property is antiquated.
How can canine lovers assist?
The Animal Legal Defense Fund, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit group, is an animal legislation advocacy group whose said mission is to guard the lives and advance the pursuits of animals via the authorized system. The group encourages animal lovers to take motion by lobbying native, state and authorities representatives and businesses to vary legal guidelines to guard animals.
If you wish to assist enact extra state prison statutes, undertake harsher measures and better penalties towards canine theft, manage and meet with like-minded canine homeowners and work with animal rights organizations to vary pet theft legal guidelines.
One final thing: If you may have had your pet stolen, be affected person, be diligent, be lively and don’t quit. He is likely to be returned to you.
How to forestall canine theft
There are steps you possibly can take to make sure you and your canine usually are not a goal for dognapping.
- Microchip your canine, register the microchip with the microchip company and preserve the knowledge up to date.
- Have your canine put on a collar along with your cellphone quantity and ID tag with related and present info, like your e-mail tackle and the phrase “Reward.”
- Have your canine put on a GPS tracker that may observe your canine in actual time to find his whereabouts.
- Do not go away breed doormats or dangle breed flags exterior your own home, as this serves as an commercial for thieves.
- Keep all doorways locked and home windows closed if you find yourself not house. Install cameras in your house specializing in key entry and exit factors.
- Do not go away your canine unattended exterior in your yard, in your automotive or tied up exterior a retailer.
- Be cautious of strangers who method you to speak about your canine. Do not give them any details about the place you reside, how usually you stroll your canine or your canine’s title.
- Try to stroll canines in sunlight hours, barely various the time. Thieves search for constant dog-walking conduct.
- Notice your atmosphere. Watch for parked vehicles in your space and take note of pedestrians, who simply don’t appear “to suit.”
- Keep a watchful eye in your
canine within the canine park and don’t stroll your canine off-leash in your neighborhood.
What to do in case your canine is stolen
If dognapping does occur to you, take these steps instantly.
- Security specialists agree that in case your canine is stolen, don’t attempt to chase the assailants or leap within the automotive with them as a result of you will get badly injured and even shot.
- Write down as a lot as you possibly can bear in mind in regards to the thief or thieves and the getaway automotive.
- Call the police and file a report with as a lot detailed info as you possibly can bear in mind.
- Call your microchip firm so that individuals in your space will obtain a misplaced pet alert and be looking out.
- Reach out to native lacking pets and neighborhood teams on social media. Post an image of your pet and describe him completely. Post by yourself social feed to get the phrase out, too!
- Make a flyer together with face and physique pictures of your pet, providing a reward for info resulting in his secure restoration. Do not point out that he was stolen, as there’s a chance the thief could need to return him and keep away from prosecution. Post flyers within the space, together with native canine parks or the place giant teams of individuals congregate.
- Contact the native veterinary workplaces, groomers, doggie daycares, boarding services and shelters, because the thieves would possibly need to drop him there.
- Write a letter to native media shops (newspapers, radio and TV) together with an image and full description of your canine and a proof of what occurred. Give them a heartfelt story about what your canine means to you. If you discover out that different canines in your residential space have been stolen, embody that. This can immediate them to report your story in addition to against the law wave of dognapping so residents will probably be looking out in your canines — and to watch out with their very own.
- Beware of scammers who would possibly name you for the reward or ask for cash to return your canine.
- Regularly evaluation on-line postings for pet adoptions and pet gross sales.
- Don’t quit!
Why some pups are dognapped greater than others
Some of the contributing components as to why some canines are stolen greater than others is that the fascinating breeds of right now are uncommon, stylish and troublesome to get one’s palms on, particularly the French Bulldog — a breed that could be a main candidate for theft.
“Frenchies have been develop into stylish resulting from their social media presence, particularly on Instagram, in addition to their breed’s illustration, which may be discovered on sheets, sweaters, cellphone circumstances and in advert campaigns,” says Brandi Hunter-Munden, AKC vp of public relations.
Another contributing issue to the breed’s reputation is that many French Bulldogs are owned by notable celebrities like Lady Gaga (who have been famously and violently dognapped in 2021), Dwayne Johnson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Martha Stewart, Snoop Dogg, Madonna and Reese Witherspoon. And, with a hefty price ticket — beginning at $4K and up, there may be an implied elite standing from proudly owning this breed.
In the case of French Bulldogs, the demand outweighs the provision and that should be figured into the explanation why the breed is a first-rate contender for being stolen. French Bulldogs have smaller litters, providing a restricted provide for such a voracious demand.