Press release: EU Commission labels burning trees for energy ‘sustainable’ – 97% of European forests could be at risk of destruction
Today the European compensation released its “Fit For 55” legal plan, a basket of plan propositions that intend to lower the EU’s exhausts by 55% by 2030 contrasted to 1990 degrees. However, the updates to the Renewable Energy Directive (RED) will proactively antagonize this objective, as well as for that reason intimidate to antagonize any kind of development this plan makes.
C urrently, the EU obtains about 60% of its power from igniting biomass or biomass-derived gas, 18% of that by melting woodland timber, as well as around 40% originates from real eco-friendly, climate-friendly power, such as wind as well as solar energy.
The RED proposition will certainly motivate a additional boost in tree burning as it will certainly remain to think about it a climate-friendly, lasting power resource. But burning timber produces also extra co2 than melting nonrenewable fuel sources, no matter exactly how it is sourced. 
The Commission proposition for the examined RED:
Wrongly remains to count burning trees for power as zero-carbon in the power market.
Does absolutely nothing to finish the burning of bioenergy feedstocks that do even more injury than helpful for the environment, such as woodland biomass.
Introduces no-go locations for sourcing, such as key woodlands. Problem: such woodlands just stand for 3% of EU woodlands, leaving the continuing to be 97% still open up to exploitation.
Includes weak language that Member States will give no assistance for the burning of premium quality timber such as ” veneer logs” for power, which has little result as the market mostly melts timber of reduced monetary worth, yet of high biodiversity as well as carbon worth.
Does absolutely nothing to lower the quantity of timber being melted or the particle air contamination it launches.
Includes no added constraints on using food as well as feed plants for biofuels as well as biogas. Such biofuels are connected to extensive farming manufacturing in Europe as well as logging abroad.
In February greater than 500 researchers created to the EU caution that “countless research studies have actually revealed, this burning of timber will certainly raise warming up for years to centuries. That holds true also when the timber changes coal, oil or gas.”
At the exact same time, need for woodland biomass enhances logging stress on EU woodlands that are currently greatly collected. EU nations have actually approximated that 79% of important woodland environments are intimidated by forestry tasks In enhancement to this, woodland carbon sinks are lowering as well as readied to lower by a 3rd by 2030.
Commission vice head of state Timmermans had himself guaranteed to ensure that bioenergy ” does refrain from doing even more injury than that it does excellent”. But a fter tough lobbying stress from Swedish as well as Finnish extensive forestry entrance halls, standing for 2 of one of the most greatly forested nations in the EU, the Commission gave in.
Ariel Brunner, Senior Head of Policy, BirdLife Europe:
“We have actually never ever recognized even more concerning exactly how to eliminate the environment situation than we do now. Even the typical person is undoubtedly conscious that logging as well as burnin g woodlands f or power, or melting food in our vehicles, isn’t simply negative for the setting, yet is damaging among the important points the survival of mankind rests on. If accepted, the Renewable Energy Directive will certainly weaken the remainder of the Fit for 55 plan, as well as add to wip ing out woodlands as well as the wild animals that depends upon them We wish the EU Council as well as the European Parliament pay attention to the scientific research, as well as sound judgment, to guarantee the EU’s renewable resource target is fulfilled by, properly environment-friendly, tidy as well as eco-friendly resources.”
For even more info, please get in touch with:
Bioenergy advocate, BirdLife Europe & & NABU
+49 172 279 4860
BirdLife Europe as well as Central Asia is a collaboration of 43 nationwide preservation organisations as well as a leader in bird preservation. Our special regional to international method allows us to provide high effect as well as long-lasting preservation for the advantage of nature as well as individuals. BirdLife Europe as well as Central Asia is just one of the 6 local secretariats that make up BirdLife International Based in Brussels, it sustains the European as well as Central Asian Partnership as well as exists in 43 nations consisting of all EUMember States With greater than 4100 personnel in Europe, 2 million participants as well as 10s of hundreds of competent volunteers, BirdLife Europe as well as Central Asia, along with its nationwide companions, has or handles greater than 6000 nature websites completing 320,000 hectares.