Ask Dr. Aziza: Why Your Dog Can't Stop Itching and How to Relieve it – Freshpet
An itchy canine is a standard incidence within the vet clinic, however a number of issues could possibly be inflicting this discomfort. Let’s take a more in-depth have a look at the highest causes of itching and the way we deal with it to offer your canine with some itch aid.
Reason #1: Fleas
Fleas are a sort of parasite that may trigger extreme itchiness and it’s the commonest reason for continuous itching. Some canines are extra delicate to fleas than others, however all are affected to a point. Flea preventatives are the easiest way to guard your pup from fleas and keep away from the necessity for canine itch aid merchandise.
Once a flea infestation has been identified, it is usually really useful to deal with your home and yard for fleas to additional exterminate the flea inhabitants. Your veterinarian will decide which flea product is greatest in your canines based mostly on its medical historical past, way of life, and ease of administration.
Reason #2: Food allergic reactions
Like folks, canines might be allergic to meals. Contrary to common perception, most canines are allergic to the protein supply in meals, not grain. To decide which meals ingredient(s) to keep away from, it’s endorsed to carry out a meals weight-reduction plan trial. This might be carried out in a few methods:
- Novel protein weight-reduction plan trial: Pet homeowners compile an inventory of all meals merchandise their pet has ever acquired to the most effective of their data, and feed a protein their pet has by no means acquired. Usually, pet mother and father will use unusual protein diets like rabbit, bison, or whitefish. Thankfully, there are non-prescription diets, like Freshpet’s Vital Salmon & Ocean Whitefish recipe, which can be available.
- Hypoallergenic weight-reduction plan trial: A hypoallergenic meals weight-reduction plan trial requires a pet to obtain a prescription hypoallergenic weight-reduction plan. In each situations, pets can solely obtain the diets authorized for the meals trial, together with treats, for about 4-12 weeks.
Want to be taught extra about our novel protein choices? Take a have a look at our greatest chicken-free pet food recipes.
Reason #3: Environmental allergic reactions
Dogs may also be affected by environmental allergens. This contains each seasonal and non-seasonal allergens. If you watched that your canine’s itching is brought on by allergic reactions, there are checks that assist decide what particular allergens your canine is allergic to in addition to the severity of their allergy. Ideally, these checks are carried out by a veterinary dermatologist so your veterinarian could refer you to a different clinic if there isn’t one accessible on the follow.
To assist present your canine with some itch aid, there are medicines which can be very efficient in minimizing the signs of those allergic reactions and are designed for long-term use.
Reason #4: Mange
In addition to fleas, there are different parasites, specifically mites, that trigger itchiness in canines and result in a bunch of secondary points together with:
- Bacterial pores and skin infections
- Hair loss
This leads to a standard illness often called mange. To diagnose mange, your canine will bear a pores and skin scrape take a look at which might be carried out at most veterinary clinics. Thankfully, there are medicines that deal with mites and supply your canine with itch aid.
Reason #5: Toxin publicity
There are toxins that may trigger itching and irritation to your canine’s pores and skin. It might be brought on by:
- Common family cleansing merchandise
- Plants, equivalent to poison ivy
- Heavily scented merchandise, equivalent to candles or air fresheners
Usually, contact allergic reactions resolve when the supply of publicity is faraway from the pet’s setting. Medications could also be indicated to heal any pores and skin lesions or present your canine with itch aid, however usually are usually not wanted long run.
In addition to those 5 causes, some canines simply naturally have extra delicate pores and skin that’s vulnerable to itchiness. If your canine falls into this class, it may be a good suggestion to change them to a weight-reduction plan that’s designed particularly for delicate pores and skin, equivalent to Freshpet® Select Sensitive Stomach & Skin recipe.
In normal, selecting a weight-reduction plan that features recent animal proteins will present your canine with extra fatty acids, which is able to in flip hold their coats wholesome and assist stop dry pores and skin!